Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I think David Cook should win American Idol


To be honest, I never liked David Cook at the start of the latest season of American Idol. I think he is too cocky, he isn’t even that talented or good-looking. Until he sang Mariah Carey’s Always Be My Baby!

(I know, this post is week late, but hey, humor me and just read on still, will ya?)

David Cook isn’t even my type (as an American Idol, okay?). He’s a rocker, I’m more of a pop, R&B and country music fan. I don’t even like most of the songs (or arrangements for that matter) that he has performed so far in the season. Well, except two songs – All Right Now performed in the Top 20 semifinal round and like I said, Always Be My Baby during the Top 7 week. I am a reluctant fan actually. Not because I still have doubts on his talent but because I feel ashamed to be rooting for him and to claim that I am a fan. I never believed in him in the beginning. I even wanted him to not make it to the Top 12. And now I have eaten my words! Haha! It doesn’t feel right to passionately root for a guy whom I dismissed just a few months ago as just another white rocker dude. (Yeah, it’s absurd, haha! But hey, I am this passionate when it comes to American Idol. I take my fanaticism seriously!)

This renewed appreciation of the other “David” and other “Cook” in the Top 12 started when he sang a few lines of Rihanna’s Don’t Stop The Music during the Idol Gives Back episode. And then the week after, he put a different but equally wonderful spin on Mariah Carey’s Always Be My Baby. (Gosh I can never say it enough, can I? Haha!)

David Archuleta, Ramiele Malubay, Michael Johns and Carly Smithson used to be my favourites to win American Idol this year, but hey, even guys are entitled to change their minds, right? Hehe! Obviously, even if I am still a great of theirs, Ramiele and Michael cannot win anymore for they have been eliminated. As for Carly, I don’t think she’s gonna win or if I’d like her to win it all. Granted that she’s talented and that she’s got the big voice, but I think we’ve got enough of American Idol divas. As for little David, well, I still think he’s a brilliant performer. I like most of his song choices. And his style is more into my taste. He is even a very nice person! But my interest in him that started with his passioned audition with John Mayer’s Waiting On The World To Change has waned over the past few weeks. I have realized, aside from being young and being guy, he doesn’t bring much anything new into the table. And that’s where David Cook comes in.

He’s a rocker. And he’s a guy! Looking at the past American Idol winners, there are more female winners. Just for the sake of variety and balance, David Cook should win, haha! And I don’t think the producers are gonna have problems with him selling records, unlike the last white guy who won American Idol. And he cried on live television! This rocker dude has a personality and a heart!

Having said this though, if David Archuleta wins, I wouldn’t be surprised or will I be so pissed off. His winning wouldn’t be so bad. Actually, I may want David Cook to win, but if most of the Top 12 this year will release albums eventually, I will most likely listen to Carly’s, little David’s, Brooke’s, Michael’s or even Kristy’s.

Let’s see what will happen.

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger