Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Top 10 Love Songs

In time for the Valentine holidays, I'm gonna share my Top 10 love songs of all time (well, as of February 14, 2007). It was hard for me to choose just 10 because there are many good songs from different genres out there. In the end, I had to choose based on the melody, lyrics and of course, personal attachment to the song -- after all, this is MY top 10, hehe! Therefore, a little respect please, if you don't agree with my choices. =p

In alphabetical order:

1. Rascall Flatts - Bless The Broken Road
I first heard this song when Carrie Underwood performed this on American Idol and I instantly fell in love with its melody and lyrics.

"Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Helping me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know it's true
That God bless the broken road
And led me straight to you.."

2. Mandy Moore - It's Gonna Be Love
(OST - A Walk To Remember)
I think that A Walk To Remember was such a hit here is party because of its wonderful soundtrack that features romantic tunes from Mandy Moore, Switchfoot, Rachael Lampa and many more.

"
The sooner you let two hearts beat together
The sooner you'll know this love is forever
(It's gonna be love)
Love needs time now or never
(It's gonna be love)
It's gonna be tough
You gotta believe
It's gonna be strong enough..
"

3. Jennifer Love Hewitt - Love Will Show You Everything
(OST - If Only)
It's that touching song from the one-helluva-tearjerker-of-a-movie that is If Only. Many agree (including me) that ABS-CBN's Sana Maulit Muli is greatly based from this movie.

"I love you, you love me
Take this gift and don't ask why
Cause if you will let me
I'll take what scares you hold it deep inside
And if you ask me why
I'm with you and why I'll never leave
My love will show you everything.."

4. Westlife - Puzzle Of My Heart
Actually, now that I am older, I've realized that is lyrics is so, erm, elementary, haha! Notice the lame attempt at rhyming. But still, the melody is just soo soothing. Well at least for a boy band afficionado like me, hehe!

"Every time we meet
The picture is complete
Every time we touch
The feeling is too much
She's all I ever need
To fall in love again
I knew it from the very start
She's the puzzle of my heart.."

5. Karla Bonoff - Standing Right Next To Me
I first encountered this song when Lindsey Cardinale performed this on America Idol (Idol really exposes me to a lot of good songs beyond my generation), although it actually took time before I fully appreciated it.

"Beneath the moon tonight

I see it in your eyes
No more false starts
No more broken hearts
I used to have a wish
One day I'd feel like this
Now I know love exists
Cause it's standing right next to me.."

6. Emma Bunton - Take My Breath Away
This one's a 100% pop tune from a former Spice Girl no less -- the title itself screams that it's a lovey-dovey love song. BUT, as always, the melody will win you over, so give it a chance, hehe!

"I never thought I'd feel the way I'm feeling lately
When everything you seem to do just drives me crazy
Every waking day you take my breath away
With every word you say you take my breath away
You look at me that way, baby come what may
I hope that you'll always know how to take my breath away
How to take my breath away.."

7. Ronan Keating - The Way You Make Me Feel
This is not one of Ronan Keating's more popular love songs. I think you would agree that he is best known for his version of When You Say Nothing At All for Notting Hill's soundtrack (which by the way, is one of the best romantic movies of all time, hehe). BUT, I like this song better because of its simple premise of appreciating the little everyday things that a person does to you that makes you fall for that person.

"I couldn't feel much better
Than when I'm here with you
You make everything seem so easy
I'm telling you the truth
You never try to please me
But somehow, you always do.."

8. Ryan Cabrera - True
The acoustic feel to its says it all for me. Never mind that some lines of the song up until now are an enigma to me, hehe.

"I've waited all my life
To cross this line
To the only thing thats true
So I will not hide
Its time to try
Anything to be with you
All my life I've waited
This is true.."


9. Shawn Colvin - When You Know
(OST - Serendipity)
By now, you can safely conclude that I am a sucker for romantic movie soundtracks, hehe! Serendipity is ALSO one of my most favorite romantic movies of all time and it's a no brainer that one song from the flick would make it to this Top 10. I think this one was played during the part where Jonathan and Sara finally found each other on a New York skating rink after what seemed to be a futile chase for their 'destined' partner in life.

"When you know that you know who you love, you can't deny it.
Or go back, or give up, or pretend that you don't buy it.
When it's clear this time you've found the one, you'll never let him go
Cos you know and you know that you know.."


10. Mariah Carey & Brian McKnight - Whenever You Call
Also called the 'martyr song', hehe! Kidding! I prefer this live recorded version with Brian McKnight than the solo studio version of Mariah Carey.

"I won't ever be too far away to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call
And I'll always remember
The part of you so tender
I'll be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call.."



Highly recommended: Christian Bautista - The Way You Look At Me, D Sound - Do I Need A Reason, Edwin McCain - Couldn't Ask For More, Erik Santos - Kung Akin Ang Mundo, Leigh Nash - Need To Be Next To You, Lifehouse - You And Me, Michelle Branch - Breathe, Pussycat Dolls - Stick Wit You, Stephen Speaks - Passenger Seat, Texas - In Demand, The Corrs - Runaway.

Next time, I will post my Top 10 saddest love songs, hehe! I hope that today, you were able to celebrate the beauty of love - not just the romantic kind. For we should be thankful not only for the happiness we feel with out special someone (if any, hehe) but also for the genuine love we share with our family and true friends. For the attached, good for you. For the unattached, don't fret, wait in hope and not in despair.
Happy Heart's Day everyone! =p

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger