Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Starting Over...

..Doing so can be quite hard sometimes. Vestiges of the past, whether good or bad, can bog us down. How do we move on? How do we start?

Actually, I don’t know myself.

STARTING OVER. What I do know though is that a new year has started and what it brings with it is a chance to start over. It’s that time of the year that is perfect for different kinds of New Year’s Resolutions. When people start behaving differently, other would automatically think, “It’s a new year after all”. It’s a little unfair, if you ask me. I mean, what if that person actually thought that it’s about for him or her to be a better person. Can we not give him or her the merit for wanting to be a better person just because he or she want to be so, and not just it’s the New Year and making resolutions is the “in” thing to do.

And speaking of resolutions, I don’t have any for I am not a big fan of New Year’s Resolutions. Of course, it’s not because I am a perfect person already and I can live without any positive change in my life. I just don’t feel like having one just because it’s a New Year.

What I do though during New Year’s is to look back on the year that was, which is pretty much customary for TV shows (year-end specials) and radio stations (year-end countdowns).

LOOKING BACK. The year 2007 for me was not exactly kind to me. But I am not about to point blame to anyone but myself. While there are factors that was beyond my control, still, everything I did was a result of my decision, no matter how big or small.

Having said that, I am not losing hope, and it’s not just because the last month of 2007 was easier on me (it was my birthday and the holiday season after all). I just choose to see beyond the bad things that happened, like I always do each year.

Tragedies, of all sorts, happened to me and my friends. Dreams shattered. Plans failed. Relationships scarred. There were many nights that were quite emotionally hard for me. But I survived it all.

So to end my first post for 2008, I came up with some fun awards to highlights the best times of the year. NOTE: These don’t sufficely sum the best of the year, but it’s fun to give these awards anyway, haha!

Song of the Year – Umbrella by Rihanna
This isn't necessarily my favorite song of the year, for that awards would go to, err, gosh, I can’t choose! Just choose from these 19 other songs I listed in my Multiply. I chose this song to represent the year 2007 for me. For if there’s one year that I really felt how valuable my friends are, it is this year. If 2006 was about betrayals, then 2007 is about sticking together, through thick and thin.

When the sun shines we’ll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'll always be your friend
Took an oath I'mma stick it out 'till the end
Now that it's raining more than ever
Know that we still have each other
You can stand under my Umbrella

Hobbies of the Year – Tennis & videoke
I can't choose between the two, haha! Both hobbies have been the constant activity of choice when it comes to unwinding for most part of the year.

Movies of the Year – Transformers & One More Chance
Two very related movies, huh? Haha! I watched Transformers in the cinemas twice for obvious reasons – I’ve been quite a fan when I was a child and it was a great action movie. Meanwhile, I watched One More Chance thrice. I only meant to watch it twice, but I gave in to my orgmates prodding for the third time in the condition that they will subsidize my ticket. But of course, it’s also because the movie was painfully entertaining, hehe!

TV Series of the Year – Brothers & Sisters
What can I say, sarcastically witty family drama is my thing. Runner-ups would be Gossip Girl and Ugly Betty.


Chocolate of the Year – Truffles! Specifically the new Hershey’s Truffles and Lindt Lindor! My gard! The heavenly chocolatey goodness just explodes in my mouth! Haha!

Overall, 2007 wasn’t a good year for me, but I have many reasons to hope that things will get better this 2008. It’s the Year of the Rat after all! Hehe! In this light, let me end this last one award..

Lesson of the Year
– If there's a will, there's a way. Coming up with excuses all the time betrays the truth behind our actions, or lack thereof. (And this is my friendly, unsolicited advice to you, Albania Panama Canada and Jordan Venezuela Croatia (^^,)).

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger