Recent Thoughts

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Beach Thoughts

Summer is very much equated with the beach, right? Well, I guess it's fair enough that one wouldn't trek to the beaches during the stormy season.

I've only been to the beach twice in my whole life. One in Zambales (2005) and one in Hawar Island Bahrain (2000). My beach sojourn in Zambales was with my orgmates and it was an actual resort. The sand on the beach itself was not what I hoped it would be. The sand was gray and a little rocky. Think construction sites, hehe. But the sand on the nearby island was way way better! Too bad we could stay there for a little while only. My orgmates tried to teach me how to float. Perfect venue, eh? Kamusta naman ang mga waves na humahampas sa ilong ko, haha!

My beach trip in Bahrain wasn't exactly a relaxation type of visit. Hawar is the military island where my Papa works and that afternoon, we were just driving around, sight-seeing. Since it was a military island, the only settlements present were the military camp and the plant that Papa manages, the resort hotel and some a few buildings that I really had no idea what they were. So imagine all the free stretch of sand-and-sea rendezvous at my disposal. The beach where we stopped by wasn't exactly resort material. Although the sand was smooth and white, there were pearl-sized rocks everywhere. And there were all these little baby crabs that were threatening me with their clamps. (Ke-liit-liit, antatapang, parang nag-yayaya ng suntukan, haha!). We still went for a swim though, the water was only shallow for the first few tens of meters. It was my first time and I didn't know how to swim (up to now) so I wasn't really able to savor the moment. My fears got the best of me, so it wasn't long before I 'walked' back to shore. And the school of white jellyfish ahead of me wasn't exactly welcoming, haha!


I love swimming, but beaches were never my thing. Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy going to the beach but I wouldn't be exactly jumping for joy when it comes to the swimming aspect of the gimik. My lack of swimming skills is definitely a huge constraint in exploring an unconfined and huge space of water. I would enjoy the sunset view though; and making weird structures in the sand; bonfires, if ever. The company I'm with would matter more than the quality of the sand.

I've been aching for a getaway for the past few weeks. But alas, I don't really have enough savings to do something outrageous and adventurous, like going to a faraway beach by myself (or with someone). You know, 'hahanapin ko ang sarili ko', like they always say in the movies, hehe!

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger