Recent Thoughts

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Unpopular Opinion 2: Anime is too kiddy for me

All views and opinion expressed by this blogger does not in any way reflect that of blogger.com or the whole bloggosphere for that matter. Whatever bold statement read her should not be taken as the omnipotent truth. This blogger only wishes to share his opinions of the way things are in this universe, of which he is entitled to. If you don't share his opinion, you are very much welcome to share yours. But don't in any way hate this blogger for whatever opinion he has that is opposed to yours, for he does not in any way imply that he alone is right and that everyone else is wrong. Respect is valued here, as much as your opinion is, whatever it maybe.

Hokei it's about time for the second installment of my 'unpopular opinion' series! O ha, may official disclaimer pa ako, hehe. So expect me to put that on all of my unpopular opinion posts in the future.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion this week is:

"Anime is too kiddy for me."

Wait! Before all you anime lovers out there crucify me for this, let me explain myself. =p

Obviously, I am not an anime person. But I don't hate them either. It's just that I am amused at how some people even older at me can be anime addicts at their stage in life.

Don't get me wrong, I loved cartoons when I was a kid. In fact, one summer, it came to a point where my Mama actually scheduled my viewing time because I was spending too much time in front of Cartoon Network! Voltes 5. Peter Pan. Ang Mahiwagang Kuwintas. A Dog of Flanders. Cedie. Princess Sarah. Flintstones. Jetsons. Voltron (The lion ang vehicles versions). He-man. (And that series where the heroes have the power to turn into the animals splattered on their chests, geesh, I forgot the name, I liked it so much pa naman.) Captain Planet. Little Lulu. X-Men. Wild Cats. Ray-Earth. Well, you get the picture. Seriously, I'm sure I forgot a lot of cartoons that I used to watch religiously as a kid.

But you see, that's my point. I liked these when I WAS a kid. Now I don't, hehe. Well, I actually stopped liking these when I was in the last few years of my high school. Blame it on MTV, hehe.


It's just that I think that there are things we outgrow when we, uhm, grow up, hehe. And for me, watching these shows that are made FOR kids in the first place is one of them. Sometimes though, I still enjoy watching re-runs of these cartoons, but not because I still enjoy them that same way I used to when I was a kid. It was because, it is really fun reminiscing at the stuff you used to like as a kid, right? Of course, your taste matures and objectively speaking, I wonder how in the world I liked some of these cartoons. I'm like, "Haha! Ang cocorny naman ng mga ito!" Of course, it is but natural. Shows for kids are as simple as the life of the minds that watch them. There's not much realistic complications in the plots. You wouldn't find any of the manic stuff we adults are forced to face in the real world.

As we grow up, we evolve as individuals. But our cartoons don't grow old with us. They stay as innocent and simply entertaining as they are to be appreciated by the next generation of young minds.

So what do I think of grown-ups who love anime? Are they immature? Not really. At least not all of them, haha. Each anime-addicted grown-up has a reason why they watch these shows, but unfortunately, it is something I will never get. Apparently, I'm not into Samurai X, Naruto, Gundam Wing, Slam Dunk, etc. I don't know, it just doesn't interest me.

The way I see it, Naruto for these guys is just what Grey's Anatomy is for me. Right? It just happens that what they like is in animation form. The only catch is, cartoons are made for children and TV series like Grey's are made for adults.

I know that adults can still pick up a thing or two from these animes. Nothing wrong with that, right? It is even beneficial. But what works for me is when I pick up lessons from a more realistic setting. Because it's much closer to what I actually go through everyday.

Let me end this by making it clear that I am not saying adults who watch anime are childish. I think anime is too kiddy for me, but, hey, whatever works for you, right? Whatever helps you get through your day.. =p

EDIT: Being childish and child-like are two different things. I prefer to be the latter.. =p

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger