Recent Thoughts

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Unpopular Opinion 1: Love is overrated

I'm going to start a new feature on my blog and it'll be about my unpopular opinions. But what qualifies as 'unpopular'? Hmm, let's say if at least 60% of the general public think otherwise, then I will be the unpopular one, haha!

Since it's my first time, I'm gonna talk about something that would probably solitict much violent reactions from you my dear blog visitors and blog hoppers. That should translate to more comments, haha!

"Love is overrated."

The first time I thought of this was when I was an applicant of the UP Volleyball Club. There was this bit on the sigsheet where I should write my 'philosophy on love'. Of course, I could stick to the artsy pantsy cliches like love is blind or love is never jealous, etc. I didn't want to pick out something from books or the movies. So bigla ko na lang naisip, love is overrated.

As expected, whenever a member saw my sigsheet, they would react to my bold statement. Common initial reactions were, "Ang bitter mo naman yata!". On the contrary. Although I must admit, I went through my own periods of bitterness on love, hehe. My heart has had its own share of 'down' moments. But at that time, I really wasn't bitter anymore. But I'm not saccharine about it either.

Before you judge me, hehe, let me explain myself.

Love is overrated for me because I hate the way most people equate happiness with love alone. I mean, there's more to life than finding 'the one' for you. If you're in love, then good for you. But if you're not, it should not take it toll on your self-perception either.

To love is probably the best thing that could happen in your life. Note that my operative word is 'probably', hehe. You see, I haven't been most lucky when it comes to this. Reciprocated love is too elusive for me, hehe. But I'm okay with it. These days, you won't ever find me sulking up in one corner, wondering haplessly why the hell I'm still single at 21. Like I said, minsan din akong naging Bitter Ocampo. But I'm through that phase. I'm through feeling bad about myself when I shouldn't be at all.

Hindi ko alam kung kailang ako magkaka-syotang muli. Feeling ko na nga, tatanda na akong binata, haha! But while I'm still single, I'm gonna enjoy the perks of being one at its fullest. For now, I'd rather vent all the 'love' I could give to my friends and family, who all deserve it. But when I finally meet 'the one', I'm gonna make sure I'm gonna enjoy its perks to the fullest either. Pana-panahon lang iyan.


PS: For my past posts about the universally favorite topic of love, re-visit these links.
In search for the perfect blog site address
Isaw
Finding the one
I'm Scared

EDIT: August 11, 10.22pm

Sabi ko na eh, this topic is gonna elicit some warmer response, because apparently, everyone has an opinion on love, hehe.

Anyway, I'm gonna clear somethine, lest I be mistaken for a love grinch! =p

I'm not saying that LOVE SUCKS. I'm just saying it's OVER-RATED. Because I hate people who sulk in dark corners just because they weren't so lucky in love. I've been through that phase. But now that I have a better perspective, I have realized that feeling sorry for oneself is one of the worst things that you could do to yourself.

Having said this, I also hate people who over-grieve their lost loves. I know, mending a broken heart is not an easy task. In fact, it takes gargantuan effort to do so. But given enough time to let yourself heal, you should be okay. But after that mourning period, you should go back to appreciating your self and not let past heartbreaks ruin what you have at present.

Lastly, I think I should have said, "Romance is over-rated", hehe! Because Donya is right, love comes in many forms. =p

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger