Recent Thoughts

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Top 10 Songs of 2006

Five days to go, before we welcome 2007. And it's that time of the year again wherein we reminisce the best (and sometimes even the worst) of all sorts of things. So from now until the end of the year, I will be making a list of things. For my first year-end countdown, here's my Top 10 songs from 2006. Please note that this is based on my personal taste. Whenever I hear these songs, I will almost always stop what I'm doing and sing along with them, hehe!

10. Carrie Underwood - Jesus Take The Wheel
It's Season 4 American Idol Carrie Underwood's first single which gained popularity here in the Philippines around March 2006. I have a personal attachment to this song as it surfaced on the airwaves at a time when I was going through a rough time myself. At first, I thought a Christian country song which screams 'Jesus' with its title alone won't gain enough acceptance in the Philippine market, but I was glad that it decently charted on the music channels like MYX.


9. Natalie ft Justin Roman - Where Are You
Having discovered the song back in Valentine month of this year, this song couldn't be any more fitting! Powered with a soothing romantic melody and easy-to-sing-along-with lyrics, I think it's the singledom's perfect national anthem, hehe!







8. Katharine McPhee - Think
On the last season of American Idol, I was absolutely inflicted with the McPheever! I rarely place bets with my friends. But when it was between Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks for the Finale, I had one with a very good friend who was on the Soul Patrol. The prize? A large bar of a Cadbury chocolate of any variant upon the discretion of the winner. Kamusta naman na hindi ko pa nabibigay yung chocolate, hehe! Anhirap kasi hanapin nung gusto niya -- White chocolate with almonds. =p














7. Sam Milby - Close To You
6. Rocksteddy - Smile At me
These two songs might as well be fused into a single entry and be called the Close-Up songs, hehe! These songs and their commercials are so catchy, right? (Well at least for me!) They actually made me choose Close-Up over the #1 world's dentists-approved Colgate, just because of the romantic angle attached to the toothpaste. Only a true-blue love grinch won't say 'Awww' to the "I love the rain" scene, right?


5. Kelly Clarkson - Because Of You
Seems like all songs entitled Because Of You turn out to be hits. When I first chanced upon the title more than a year ago, I actually thought Kelly Clarkson revived the staple Keith Martin song. But no, it was an entirely and much much better emo-song. I really love the 'I never strayed too far from the sidewalk' part because it's so, uhm, weird but nevertheless meaningful? Hehe!




4. Stacie Orrico - I'm Not Missing You
I also award this song the Most Difficult Song To-Sing-Along-To Award, hehe! I just looove the rhythm. It took me more than two weeks to be able to decently sing along with the song, hehe!







3. Nina - Someday
Now this is a sorry love song that I could totally relate to, but it's not to say I remain bitter after too (read: two) many heartaches, hehe! I think this song is friends with 'I Will Survive'. =p







2. Jojo - Too Little Too Late
In terms of melody alone, this is my #1, but it lost on the personal attachment criteria. I am a huge fan of Jojo, who for me is one of the most under-rated but extremely talented singers today. But alas, it's a song I can't relate to, hehe. But dang! She's so pretty in this video. Woh!





1. Kelly Clarkson - Walk Away
The artist, the beat, the music video, the lyrics, the attitude -- this song is the overall best for me this year. I will never get tired to listening and singing along to it -- very much like the fans as shown on its video. I really love part where she shouts 'Hey! Hey! Hey!' then softly whispers, 'just walk away'. Hehe!





Runner-ups: Kamikazee - Narda, Bamboo - Truth, Itchyworms - Seasons Of Smiles, Yeng Constantino - Hawak Kamay, Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most

Ngayon ko lang napansin, sans for Rocksteddy and Sam Milby, puro divas and divettes ang Top 10 ko, hehe!

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger