Recent Thoughts

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Top 10 Lessons Learned for 2006

2006 is the best and worst year of my life. Worst -- because really, the worst things happened to me in all aspects of my life. Betrayals, failures, failures and more failures. But, having said that, best -- because indeed, there's the calm after each storm.

Each year in our lives is rich in all kinds of experiences that will always teach us a lesson or two. For the year that is about to end, here's what I feel are the most valuable lessons I have learned. Some lessons I learned from what people around me went through. Some I had to learn myself for the first time. While some, I guess I had to re-learn them time and time again. =p

*The list is in alphabetical order. Half are positively-worded, half are not. The phrasing isn't entirely mine -- some I derived from websites, some I received from forwarded text messages.

1. On betrayal..
Even best friends are capable of duplicity (Smallville). Sadly, it's human nature they say. And as a corollary, not everyone on your set of so-called friends are true. Believe me, some people are that good at feigning, pretending and lying -- until you see their true colors.

2. On chances..
Everyone deserves a second chance. (And in my case, even a third, hehe!) But it will always be a case-to-case basis. Some things just won't never, ever change for the better.

3. On faith..
Pray and pray until you die. Literally. Why? Well, don't you feel in times of extreme desperation that you just want to die, to just disappear off the face of the earth because you feel you can't handle it all anymore? Well, just pray. In times of extreme desperations, in times when you don't know what to do anymore, all you can do is have faith -- pray. Pray for strength, for hope, for answers, for wisdom, for patience, for His grace.

4. On forgiveness..
Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong, for the weak can never forgive (Mahatma Gandhi). To do so takes a lot, especially for wrongs that cause pain that's deeply ingrained. The whole lot harder it is when you didn't deserve the wrong that has been done to you, right? But again, it takes a strong sense of what is right. To forgive is what is right. To make it a little easier, forgive others for the sake of yourself. You don't need to carry the heavy burden of anger and resentment for the rest of your life.

5. On losing..
We always knew what we had, we just never thought we would lose it. It's "we don't know what we have until we lose it" in a different and better light. Cherish the things that truly matter.

6. On love..
Love is supposed to make you happy, not stupid. Jennifer Love Hewitt knew better when she sang that 'love will show you everything'. But Dr. Cristina Yang hit the home run when she retorted to a disillusioned patient that 'love has its limits'.

7. On resentment..
Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die (Cindy Clabough). The quote says it all. =)

8. On revenge..
The only people to get even with are those who have helped you. The world would be a much much better place if this kind of revenge is what happens all the time. It's comforting to know that while SOME of your so-called friends aren't true, the rest of them are. For the the support system they provide, I am deeply grateful.

9. On time..
Time is all that anyone needs (Grey's Anatomy). Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. And lastly, the time to do what must be done.

10. On truth..
The worst about being lied to is knowing you weren’t worth the truth. Sometimes the straightforward truth can save you the pain brought about by a coward lie.

Make the most of the rest of your 2006, everyone! ^-^

And all the things that break you
All the things that make you strong
You can't change the past because it's gone
And you just gotta move on
Because it's all lessons learned.
From every tear that had to fall from my eyes
From everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night
From every change life has thrown me
I'm thankful, for every break in my heart
I'm grateful, for every scar
Some pages turned, some bridges burned
But there were lessons learned.
-- Carrie Underwood - Lessons Learned

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger