Recent Thoughts

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Desperate times calls for desperate measures

When it comes to religiosity and faith, I must say that Mama brought us up very strictly, hehe. Even if the Sunday mass cards weren't mandated by my Religion teachers since Grade 3 (I studied in a Catholic School), I will still be forced by Mama to wake up early and to always fulfill my Sunday obligations. Lents for me were the worst, haha! I have to attend all Masses and ceremonies and attend all processions, hehe. Of course, as a kid, I hated it. But now that I am a grown-up, I am proud that Mama imbued us with a strong sense of faith.

Even now that she can't monitor us because she is miles away, I still always feel guilty whenever I miss Sunday masses, hehe. But don't the idea that I am very religious, because I am not. I'd rather call myself as a faithful person than a religious one. Faith and religiosity are entirely two different things. You can be religious but not faithful and vice versa. You can also be both or neither! =p

My faith and my stand on it is a combination 12 years of Catholic school education and 6 years of liberal thinking with UP. As an illustration, I consider my relationship with God as something similar to a relationship between two lovers (of course, sans the sexual part, haha), in terms of values like trust. So my personal take on Sunday masses nowadays is that it is akin to weekly visits or dates with my girlfriend, hehe. Tampuhans and LQs are also present, haha -- because I miss Sunday masses every once in a while. I also believe that I'd rather miss a Mass if something would prevent me from 'enjoying' it anyway.

Anyway, humahaba na ang supplementary post ko! Haha! The reason I am all so religious and holy in this post is because of this:

NOVENA TO SAINT JUDE THADDEUS

Most holy Apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honors and invokes you universally, as the patron of difficult cases, of things almost despaired of, Pray for me, I am so helpless and alone. Intercede with God for me that He brings visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, particularly - (mention problem) - and that I may praise God with you and all the saints forever. I promise, oh blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor granted me by God and to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you. Amen.

May the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored, and loved in all the tabernacles until the end of time. Amen. May the most Sacred Heart of Jesus be praised and glorified now and forever. Amen. St. Jude, pray for us and hear our prayers. Amen. Blessed be the Sacred Heart of Jesus, blessed be the Immaculate Heart of Mary, blessed be St. Jude Thaddeus, in all the world and for all eternity. (Our Father & Hail Mary)

My Mama sent me my first copy in a letter and I stumbled upon copies of it at the church in UP. I have used it many times and I must attest that I have indeed experienced the power of this prayer. I was in an extremely impossible situation (mathematically impossible, no amount of studying can save me) in one of my major subjects. I prayed this out of desperation na lang talaga. Apparently, it worked! I was given a chance to redeem myself (which rarely happens in UP EEE) and salvage my standing in that subject.

As a way to pay it forward, I should share this with other people (as stated in the prayer, hehe). So here! So for the religious and faithful alike, you should try this out. Traditionally, you should recite this for 9 times a day for 9 days. But hell, ikaw na bahala kung ilan, basta't pray ka lang nang pray! Hehe! But pray with genuine faith, because for me, it is the only thing that can fire you up to keep going despite extremely difficult and impossible times.

For the non-religious and non-believers, well, sorry you had to read this piece. I am not going to convince you try this out, because I know it's futile, ehehe. Just ignore this post and still come back next time, oki? =p

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger