Recent Thoughts

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Unpopular Opinion 4: IPod is just a state of mind

All views and opinion expressed by this blogger does not in any way reflect that of blogger.com or the whole bloggosphere for that matter. Whatever bold statement read her should not be taken as the omnipotent truth. This blogger only wishes to share his opinions of the way things are in this universe, of which he is entitled to. If you don't share his opinion, you are very much welcome to share yours. But don't in any way hate this blogger for whatever opinion he has that is opposed to yours, for he does not in any way imply that he alone is right and that everyone else is wrong. Respect is valued here, as much as your opinion is, whatever it maybe.

Now I know that surely, I will get a lot of flak because many of you are probably IPod users. But hey, kaya nga 'unpopular' diba?

Wiki says IPod has a 90% market share for portable media players. Now that is saying something, right? It is the IT player! I am not bashing IPod because I am so poor and bitter that I can't afford one. Well, technically, I can afford one (yabang!), I just refuse to buy one, hehe. Here's why:

*FUNCTIONALITY. For me, IPods are way too expensive for just being a music player. I prefer the less popular brands like Creative or MPIO or Astone because apart from being way way cheaper and more affordable, these have more functions. With less money, I can have an MP3 player, FM tuner, recorder and a flash drive all in one gadget, without sacrficing the quality of course.

*COMPLEXITY. Well, yes, your IPod can also serve as a flash drive. But when it comes to transferring your music from your computer, I hate the fact that I have to use iTunes. With the cheaper players, I can simply copy and paste my music files. Plus, I hate that iTunes will go bonkers (well sort of) once I insert a different IPod gadget on my computer. A case in point is my roommate's Shuffle and another friend's Nano. My roommate installed iTunes to my laptop so he can copy my mp3s. I didn't mind. But when my other friend inserted his Nano, iTunes was having problems recognizing it. I had to install the iTunes CD that came with his new Nano. And when my roommate inserted his old Shuffle days later, we had to reinstall the old iTunes.

*VALUE FOR MONEY. Like I said, IPods are too expensive. It's not the technology that you buy, it's the name. Of course, IPods are sersyal, right? Hehe!

Would I contradict myself if I confess that given a chance, I would love to have an IPod? Haha! I mean come on, who wouldn't!? Like I mentioned above, admit it, IPods are status symbols. Despite its limited functionality, we still long to own an IPod, because, well, an IPod is an IPod! Haha! It's what the celebrities use as well!

You might be wondering what MP3 player I use. Well, it's a 512-MB MPIO FY600. It cost me around P5000 when I bought it last April. And I am fully satisfied with its service even if its name isn't very popular. At least, it wouldn't attract muggers or stealers, hehe. Plus, it's smaller, it easily fits into the small key pockets in my pants.

So there, I have presented my case. I am not saying that you guys should stop buying IPods. Well, if you have the money, good for you! As for me, the time when I would finally buy an IPod is when I am finally effing rich already, when P12,000 is just piece of cake crumbs, hehe. For now, I would have to contend with my MPIO, because after all, at the end of the day, it's all about the music (or should I say, my mp3 files) and that

IPod is just a state of mind. =p

My Blog List

Quick Thoughts


Powered By Blogger